Monday, June 9, 2008

Kalimera, Kanada!

While Greece has The Iliad, Canada has... Anne of Green Gables. Guess that's not exactly a win for my home and native land. On the other beaver paw, Canada has Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen, while Greece has Nana Mouskouri and Yanni.

I only just learned that Joni and Len hooked up for a brief time in the 1960s (
no word on whether the two Greeks ever did so, but I fervently hope not). This news evoked the following thoughts for me: it's a metaphysical certainty that they read their poetry to each other, though at least in this case, the poetry didn't completely blow; can you imagine how intolerable their pillow talk must have been; and, finally, has Leonard Cohen laid everything but the Atlantic Cable? Jesus, for a Jewish guy who can't really sing, he does pretty well. Come to think of it, I'm going to have to check his touring schedule around late December 1967, when I began existence. I'm not casting any undue aspersions on my blessed mother here, and in fact the real story of my conception is fairly hilarious, but it is true that she did have a couple of his albums, the only post-Bill Haley popular music she ever owned.

No comments: